Pretty much every single one of our clients wants their wedding to be FUN. Nobody wants a boring party and yawning guests.
So this article will focus on what you can do to guarantee that your wedding is fun. When your wedding is fun…it’s the dream wedding you’ve always wanted. Your guests will talk for years about how great your wedding was and compare it to all others that come after.
First of all, I’d be lying if I told you that you can do something to “make” your guests have fun. You can’t. If your guests have their hearts set on pouting in the corner, there’s nothing you can do to stop them.
But you CAN guarantee that YOU have a fun time. And if you take these actions, it all but guarantees that if your guests want to have a good time, they WILL.
1) Set An Example Of Fun. If you want your wedding to be fun, YOU have to have fun. Your wedding is all about you. Your guests will be looking to you for guidance. You’re the star of the show. If you aren’t having a good time…chances are they won’t, either.
On the other hand, if you’re having the time of your life, your guests will be compelled to join you. When you incorporate humor into your day, they will laugh along with you. If you want your guests on the dance floor…go to the dance floor. Your guests will be drawn to you like moths to a flame. (It’s the white dress.) The party goes where you go.
Making sure you have fun at your own wedding is the number one way to guarantee a killer party.
2) Create A Comfortable Environment for You and Your Guests. What do I mean by a “comfortable” environment? A big piece of this is selecting an MC/DJ who “gets” who you are and the vibe you want for your party. If your guests are naturally shy, and your MC/DJ tries to drag them onto the dance floor…they will NOT feel comfortable.
No comfort, no fun.
On the other hand, if your MC/DJ’s style matches your own and meshes with your guests…they’ll feel comfortable enjoying themselves in whatever way is natural for them. Comfort leads to relaxation…which translates to FUN.
Guests feel comfortable when they know what’s going on and what’s expected of them. Make sure your MC/DJ guides the flow of events so that guests know where to go and what to do. This sets them at ease and sets the stage for a good time.
3) Be There. This one sounds obvious, right? Unfortunately, that’s not always the case.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen the bride and groom DISAPPEAR from their own wedding reception. Maybe they step outside for a smoke, or they decide to chat with guests in the hall. When the bride or groom leaves their wedding celebration, it’s like the air gets sucked out of the room. People are lost without their host and hostess; they wander around like lost puppies.
If you want your party to be fun, STAY IN THE MIX.
4) Get Your Photos Done EARLY. Work with your photographer to plan your formal portraits so that you can join your guests for as much of your cocktail hour as possible…and for ALL of your reception. If you leave your reception for a photo session, the party dies without you. It’s YOUR wedding and they NEED you to have fun. It sounds like the ultimate co-dependent situation…but it’s true. Do yourself a favor and allow plenty of time for a leisurely photo session BEFORE the reception. Occasionally, a rowdy group will keep on partying without you…but that’s the exception to the rule.
5) Share Your Story With Your Guests. Your guests will have the most fun when they are ENGAGED and INVOLVED in your wedding. The best way to engage them is by sharing your love story and the interests, hobbies and quirks that make you who you are.
There are lots of ways to do this. Personalize your vows. Have your MC/DJ tell your love story to your guests. Take the microphone and tell them yourself. Share your story in your program or on a card at each table. If you have a sense of humor, play it up. Ask your MC/DJ for assistance and ideas. The more laughs, the more engaged your guests become…the more fun.
Find a way to share your story that fits you. It will have a huge impact on how much fun your guests have at your wedding.
I hope you’ve enjoyed our Top 5 Tips to bring the fun to your wedding. Our years as wedding professionals have proven that these methods WORK time and time again.
Brides who follow these guidelines have fun, unforgettable parties. Brides who choose to ignore them…well, they don’t have nearly as much fun.